The greatest mystery story that I've ever read is probably Sherlock Holmes and the "Speckled Band" because I can't think of many mystery stories that I've read. What the author did well was making the spot of the crime seem like there was no possible way for the outcome of a person that just dies in a secured room.
The whistling through the trees seemed harmless, but very dangerous. All of the wildlife had gone mad on a killing spree. Nothing could be explained to why these things were happening. But Dan, a hunter was going to change that. He knew the forests very well, and was looking for any evidence to what was going on. He then finds a mysterious plant that he'd never seen growing in that certain forest in Colorado. Could this plant be the secret to why the wildlife in the area have lost their minds?