The setting in a mystery story matters a lot. It affects the whole plot and gives readers a chance to infer from it to find suspects. It betters the story and enables us to try and figure out the mystery ourselves. A perfect setting for the story would be in a place that seems suspenseful and mysterious to go along with the plot. It also needs to be closed though because if the story occurred around the whole world, it would be next to impossible for us to actually know or find out who the criminal is. Clues and leftover objects need to be in the setting too. This way, we are able to put the pieces together and it would make the story more realistic. All of these things help the story to be more interesting to read. I think that the perfect setting would be at an outdoor place where eery things occur but where an ominous plot also emerges from it. It should also be near where people associated with the crime live. This way, it can show us many reasons why the crime would be committed. Then these things can work together to better the story. I especially enjoyed the setting in The Hound of the Baskervilles because of the creepy surroundings. The curse is very mysterious, the moor and neighborhood has a strange feel about it, and the house also explains about the rich inhabitants who belonged to it. The events that occur around these things lead us into constant suspense. Overall, the setting really matters to the mystery because it gives it excitement, reason, and the suspense always needed in a good story.

Article posted November 12, 2011 at 01:36 PM • comment (1) • Reads 48 • Return to Blog List

I like your points here Amy. I like your idea of a suspenseful setting. The clues are a very important part of the mystery and the realistic part of it is always important. I completely agree with your idea of the perfect setting. congratulations you did a very good job!
Posted February 23, 2012 at 08:12 PM by • Sofia B.