The best mystery I ever read was, "Sherlock Holmes and The Speckled Band." This is my favorite because I don’t normally read mysteries. Since I am not familiar with mysteries I just chose the first one that came to my head. I also thought that this story was the best out of all of the mysteries I have ever read because, I like all of the suspense and the way Holmes is so mysterious. I like how he keeps you reading until you are satisfied with the ending.
I think that the best beginning for a mystery would be…….
It was pitch black. I knew I had to get out of there. There was only one way in and out. I kept hearing strange noises. No doubt they were trying to torture me out of my mind. I had been a day since I had gone into this dreadful cottage. On the outside, a friendly looking vacation home made out of ginger bread and candy. Now, a damp dark prison in which I was now being held. I had to get out of here. I was slowly going insane. I knew that there was a witch outside my cellar. I could hear my brother scream as her wicked hands enveloped him. I kept trying to remember how I got here, but with the fear that I would meet my brother’s same fate, it wasn’t so easy. I couldn’t really tell if my brother’s life was ended or not, but I had to get out of here. It was a while until I heard an eerie voice break the silence. The witch! She sang a dreadful little tune to herself,

The stove is hot and as is the pot,
The girl is fat and the stew is tasty,
She is the final ingredient,
I will add her to the stew,
Then I shall dine upon her flesh.