The best mystery story that I read was 39 clues: The Maze of Bones. I really enjoyed the idea of the book because they based it off real life and real places. Throughout the book, there is a huge conflict and a bunch of action.

My idea of a mystery story starter:

The very intelligent man, Elijah Johnson received a call from a very worried man saying that he needed help with a case at this amusement park. The man never really said his name but he figured he’d help him. Mr. Johnson called the man back; he answered the phone and said,” Jimmy World’s Amusement Park, owner speaking.” Mr. Johnson answered,” Hello this is Elijah Johnson, former detective, I am interested in this job, would you bother telling me your name?” The man responded, “I’m Jimmy and if you go my park I will give you more information.” Mr. Johnson said okay then hung up the phone and drove to the amusement park. Once he got there he was greeted by Jimmy and got strait to the problem. “Yesterday, I was just having a normal day when suddenly one of my rides fell to pieces. After treating various guest and sending the injured ones to a hospital, I noticed that there was a wrench and some fell off bolts by the ride. I assume someone must have screwed off the bolts.” He walked Mr. Johnson over to the ride where there stood the fallen down ride. After investigating for various minutes, he noticed a giant wooden roller coaster. Suddenly, it crumbled to pieces before his very eyes. “This is going to be a long mystery,” muttered Mr. Johnson.