Copyright (c) 2014 by HF Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
HF -- Blogmeister

Bannanna's Witty Writing

Grade 5 Students

Welcome to our grade 5 teacher and student weblog. We attend Nettleton Elementary School in Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.A. Check out our site to learn about our classroom, read our writings and give us some feedback. To add comments, just click on the comment link below a post. If you comment, please tell us who you are and where you are from. Your comments need teacher-approval before they show up on the blog. Our class likes to follow a blog comment recipe. You can write about something you saw or heard, something you liked, something to add or fix, or a question to make the writer think.

by HF

teacher: Jay Monson, Grade 5 Teacher

Did you know over 25 million American kids are overweight? That’s a lot of people and with so many kids obese, the chance of kids getting cancer or type 2 diabetes has gone up. 25 million is 33.6 % of all the kids and teens from ages 2-19, everywhere. It’s the highest percentage ever surveyed, up from 28.2 % in 2000. Do you know why? It’s because of all the fatty and processed foods that are being made and eaten. They can be addicting. Ever opened a bag of potato chips, planning only to eat a handful or two but then couldn’t stop? That’s what I mean. But you can help reduce that percentage; simply try to do some of the things that will be mentioned in this article like eating healthy and playing outside. And if you already do these things, great!
Food
First of all, you can try not to have greasy or fatty foods in your meals. Or empty calories. Empty calories are unhealthy. They contain practically no nutrition. They are also in a lot of foods. Though they may be good, that would probably be the only reason to eat them, for pleasure. They only give us fat to carry around and then later have to burn off. You can drink fruit juice, milk or water instead of soda. Your meals should be one half fruits and veggies, one fourth whole grains and one fourth protein. An example of a healthy meal would be maybe beans and rice with broccoli, an orange and a glass of milk. An unhealthy meal might be a McDonalds Big Mac, with chicken tenders, a cookie and soda. Fast food like Big Macs is O.K every once and a while, but not with two fatty main courses! And restraint meals tend to be higher in fat and sodium then home-made meals. Although you can do things like ask for lettuce and/or tomato with your sandwich when you eat out.
Exercise
Put down those video game controls and go outside to play! Another reason for children’s obesity is too little exercise. Why? Because this new-found technology keeps kid’s eyes glued to the screen. But glue can be undone! Now I know the TV isn’t always the case, and don’t get me wrong, computers are great and everybody likes watching TV every once and a while, but it’s those addicting game systems that people play for hours on end when they can be outside. Kids should spend about an hour a day or more playing outside or being active. Some people like to call it play60, as in play for 60 minutes (an hour) outside per day. Exercise (or lack of it) definitely has a play in your weight.

I hope you learned a little something from this article and I hope you use the tips given!
Article posted November 9, 2011 at 01:38 PM • comment (1) • Reads 91 • Return to Blog List

Wow!!! There was so much information in that article! That is actually something I have never known! It was very detailed, and was so awesome! Keep blogging about those kinds of ideas! People are interested in those kinds of Subjects! Keep it up!!! :D
Posted January 4, 2012 at 03:53 PM by • Faith Blight

Hi, my name is Hannah, I'm in 5'th grade. I like to read and write. I play soccer and am on the swim team. I love animals and I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I also have a twin brother.