My Science Blog!

My Polyacrylate Experiment
All this week in science we have been doing a facinating experiment! My groups question was how different liquids effected how big the polyacrylate crystals, also know as orbies, grew. We had five liquids, water, hydrogen peroxide, sugar water, salt water, and dirt water. We observed that over a period of 48 hours, the hydrogen peroxide orbies were the biggest with a pixel length of 670, and the salt water the smallest with a pixel length of 318.5. Plain water had a measurement of 645.4 pixels, sugar water had a measurement of 634.8 pixels, and finally, dirt water with a measurement of 620.3 pixels. Some inaccuracies that could have occurred are any orbies over 640 pixels could have been a few pixels off in length, because we couldn't fit them completely under the microscope. I understood that orbies expand in water, but I didn't understand why that the orbies were so much smaller than the others. Why were the salt water orbies so much smaller than the other orbies?
Article posted November 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM • comment (2) • Reads 39 • Return to Blog List

I loved doing this experiment! I was also wondering why the salt water orbies were the smallest! Im really curious why the hydrogen peroxide ones were the biggest i think it was because of the chemicals in the hydrogen peroxide! well great blog!
Posted December 16, 2011 at 12:41 PM by • katherinec
i first of all i love orbies and second we used the microscopes to but we used them for bugs
Posted November 6, 2011 at 06:34 PM by • jaymer