Copyright (c) 2014 by SSKA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SSKA -- Blogmeister

SSKA

Class of 2012-2013

by SSKA

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Dear Mom,

We have just completed module one in our math books. We did a lot of graphing and tables, algebra, probability and order of operations. I really want you to know more about what we learned so I will tell you.

Graphing was the first section in the module. We learned how to analyze a graph and how to choose the right graph for each set of data. We also learned what a frequency table was and how to use it.

The second section was algebra and patterns. We learned how to predict the nth term in a pattern by coming up with an equation, (T=n). Also we learned that algebra isn't as big, bad, and scary as we thought.

We spent a few weeks on probability and did some really fun experiments. Our math teacher went around and had each of us pick a cube out of a bag and tally what color. We did individual projects too, for mine I put a dice in a mug and picked the dice out. What ever number my thumb was on was the number I tallied. Probability was my second favorite module.

To wrap up the unit we revisited the order of operations. The order is, parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division, and addition and subtraction, or P.E.M.D.A.S. To help us remember the order we say, Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. If you don't know what exponents are the are a number with a little number in the corner which stands for how many times you multiply the number by its self, for example, 22.

Love,

Your Daughter

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 09:01 AM • comment • Reads 71 • Return to Blog List