Audrey's the name.-

Battle of the muscles.

In 1980 zebra muscles invaded the great lakes and effected the lakes ecosystem. They came from ocean going ships that had had attached to during the ships trips. Zebra muscles clogged in-take pipes of ships and power stations and billions of dollars went into the damage. The Zebra muscle can only live on hard submerged surfaces such as rocks.
Not long after the zebra muscles took over the great lakes, the Quagga muscle got into lake Michigan, and now they are effecting the balance of energy in the lakes ecosystem. Quagga muscles can live on most submerged substrates such as docks and boats and other things like that.
Over time, there has been a big decrease in the zebra muscles and the Quagga muscles have grown dominant.

What is Ecology?

Ecology- from the Greek words Oikos, meaning ‘house’ and Logos, meaning ‘study of’.
12.4 miles of soil from the surface down is were life can live. Ecosystems have 2 parts. Aboitic factors and Biotic factors.  Organisms depend on these factors for energy. When a new species comes to a Ecosystem it can disrupt or change the stability dramatically.

The Artic

Animals in the arctic are in grave danger because the ice is melting. Animals such as Polar Bears. The largest land prediters and the largest of 8 bear types. A male Polar Bear can grow up to 10 Ft tall and can way up to 1,700 pounds. A Female Polar Bear can weigh half of that. Polar Bears have special adaptations so they can survive the cold, such as the dark skin they have under their white fur, which takes in the suns energy. The paw-pads are made ruff so they don’t slip on the ice. they also use their paws when swimming since they're very usefull. the front paws of a polar bear 'propels' the bear forward while the back paws-or legs- are used to stear. wouldnt it be easier if we had that when we swimmed? They can even swim 100 miles from shore. The polor bears fat even helps him swim because it gives them buoyancy!
In 1973 and international treaty was sighned by countries inhabited by the polor bears. The goal was to protect, and manage the population of them (the polor bears).