We did an experiment in class where we had three different liquids, fresh water salt water and sugar water. We had the same five subtances in all three liquids, red sand, yeast, polyacrylate, radish and brine shrimp (sea monkeys.) In all the different enviroments something different happened in each one. The environment affects organisms because if an organisim is not in a right environment it won't survive. When we put sea monkeys in salt water and fresh water they didn't hatch but in the sugar water they hatched. The fresh water must have been too clean but it is still really weird that they didn't hatch in the salt water. The reason some things don't look living when you first get them but later they are is because sometimes it is too small. The sea monkeys just looked like sand but when we looked close we saw that the sea monkeys were hatching. The yeast looked like a regular powder but as we got farther in the experiment we found out that yeast was also living. In liquid one (salt water) 4things did not live and one did, in liquid two (sugar water) two things did not live and three did, in liquid three (fresh water) three did not live and two did. In all three the radish sproted. That is the only one that lived in all three. Different environments can change many things about an organism such as a seed. The seed is not growing unless it has water. The seed will sprout better if it has clean pure water. It will still grow in sugar and salt water just not as much. Some things don't appear living until it is in water or in a certain environment because it needs something for it to react to.
Article posted October 21, 2011 at 02:08 PM • comment (1) • Reads 101 • Return to Blog List

Thats weird the brine shrimp didn't hatch in the regular water because they hatched in our water!
Posted October 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM by • sophiat