teacher: Derrall Garrison

At least two years ago, my whole family and I sat in the mini van, heading toward Las Vegas. It was a long drive, and my sister started complaining that she was bored. So my mom made up a game that you have to read any sign that comes into sight. If you read it correctly, you get a sticker that you get to stick on a sheet of paper that my mom gave out. “Ready...set...GO!” my mom cried. My sister and I started calling out random words. Soon I had completely covered my sheet of paper in stickers. However, I was also beginning to feel sick. My mom seemed to be aware of that, for she told my dad to stop and let us out for a bit. We parked in this dusty place and got out to walk around a bit. I strode around the car, kicking up dust, when I heard my mom say to my dad,”It must have been the stickers. I knew I shouldn’t have given it to them.” “The stickers?” I wondered what the stickers would have to do with me feeling queasy in the stomach. Perhaps they had super powers. Yeah, the stickers would have had hypnotizing beams that shoot out if you stare at it too much. That would make me sick. I didn’t stare at stickers at all for the next two years. Two years later...

“Mom, why do stickers make you sick?” I asked my mom. “Stickers don’t make you sick!”my mom said, obviously shocked.” Where did you learn that?” “Two years ago, on the way to Las  Vegas,” I replied. “Oh, you overheard me, did you?” my mom laughed. “It’s not the stickers that make you sick, it’s that you’re staring at them too much. Your body knows that your moving, but your eyes aren’t focused on the ground flying by, so there’s no proof that you really are moving. Your eyes disagree with what you know, so it’s like war inside you that makes you sick. Just look out the window when you’re in the car, or you’ll get sick again.”

Article posted October 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM • comment (2) • Reads 41 • Return to Blog List

Just saying, but in your writing you called your sister a he.
Posted January 26, 2012 at 06:44 PM by • clip1114yhjlie
I wish I understood why a brain can be so annoying.
Posted November 1, 2011 at 01:11 PM by • clip1414kskdmn