Where I Live 03/13/12
temptures 03/05/12
nitrares notes 03/05/12
Justina 02/01/12
tree planting =] 02/01/12

Water pollution and quality
Water is one of the most important resources on Earth.Water can be used for drinking,showering,or cleaning.Water can also be used for recreational uses like boating,swimming,or fishing.Water pollution can happen in a great variety of ways.It could be small,like someone throwing trash in a river,or it could be some thing very big.For example,the BP oil spill consisted of a big oil rig.It exploded and released gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.Not only did it pollute the water, but tons of wild life was harmed.
What is water pollution?
Water pollution is the contamination of any body of water.There are seven types of water pollution.Surface water pollution,groundwater,oxygen depletion,nutrients,micro-biological,suspended matter,and chemical.Water
pollution is caused when trash or other pollutants are discharged into a body of water.

What are some of the sources of water pollution?
There are nine sources of water pollution.Sewage and waste water,marine dumping,industrial waste,radioactive waste,oil pollution,underground storage leaks,atmospheric deposition,global warming,and eutrophication.Marine dumping can result in a big problem.The plastic part that holds a six pack of soda together,is also known as a death trap necklace.

What are the effects of water pollution?
The effects of water pollution depend on what chemicals are dumped and in what areas.Water pollution in urban areas are often caused by garbage dumped by individuals.Many little kids make this mistake daily.All those pieces of trash build up and your river's water quality will be down in the dumps.The trash could kill the plants, making the oxygen rating low, low oxygen could kill the fish, and no fish could effect all sorts of things whether it's a social or recreational matter.

What can be done to improve water quality?
Make sure your gutter downspouts are pointed towards your
yard,never towards driveways or other hard surfaces.If it is pointed towards the driveway,the water could make the driveway erode, causing the little pieces of concrete to be carried into nearby lakes.Something as little as this could be what one little sea creatures life is depending on.

What are some actions that can be taken to help prevent water from becoming polluted?
It is as easy as reduce,reuse,and recycle.You can reuse empty water bottles instead of throwing them in the trash.Recycling is an easy way to keep the Earth and ocean clean.

As you can see,water pollution is a very big problem.It has impact on a lot more than just water quality.Since water is the most important resource we have,it is so important that we keep it clean and drinkable.Please help keep our water clean.
Article posted October 7, 2011 at 03:23 PM • comment (1) • Reads 97 • Return to Blog List

Thank you for your comment! And I also like your blog. The thing that stood out to me was how a necklace could be a death trap! That is just So sad...
Posted October 20, 2011 at 02:44 PM by • G.K