In Language Arts, I have read a series of short stories. Among these are "Seventh Grade", "Dirk the Protector", "Amigo Brothers", "A Retrieved Reformation", "The War of the Wall", "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi", and, my favorite, "Charles", a funny and ironic story. First of all, "Charles" is hilarious. Laurie's mother doesn't see that her son is bad. "Charles" is also ironic. Laurie's mother is afraid that Charles is a bad influence on her poor Laurie, while Laurie is Charles and is a bad influence on all the other children. Finally, "Charles" has a cliff hanger at the end. When Laurie's teacher tells his mom that there is no Charles in her class, the reader doesn't get to see the mother's reaction or Laurie's punishment. Clearly, "Charles" is a great story that's extremely funny and full of irony.
Article posted September 30, 2011 at 06:44 PM • comment (1) • Reads 60 • Return to Blog List

"Charles" is my favorite story too! Did you ever notice that Laurie could be a nickname for Lauren?
Posted October 23, 2011 at 07:51 PM by • Isabella L.