When seeing the Banned Books list, my first thought is that we should be able to read whatever we want. Here in America, we have that freedom and I see no reason for which we shouldn’t embrace it. However, when I dig into my thoughts a little deeper, I realize that we also have the freedom of speech. This allows us to express ourselves however we want. This means that the Banned Books list is just as much of a right as being able to read whatever we want. I believe that both wanting to ban a book and wanting to read it freely is fine. I do not think, however, that really banning a book forever is a good idea. You can “ban” a book without actually destroying it. You can always tell a friend not to read the book or simply not read it yourself!
Article posted September 26, 2011 at 06:58 PM • comment • Reads 74 • Return to Blog List