I’m a Rachel’s challenge member and have been since 6th grade. I think the presentation is needed. Tragic things happen in this world, but it’s amazing how she changed her school and other people before she died. I think it’s needed because, from personal experience, I know what it feels like when people don’t treat you the way you want to be treated and that it doesn’t feel good when you treat someone else bad because they treated you badly. It hurts. No one likes a bully and no one likes to be bullied. I know, and so do four of my friends, some teachers and the councilor, that I took a lot away from that presentation. I cried hard because I knew that I needed to change. I had taken my fear and my little bubble of solitude that I had built in elementary school with me to middle school because I was scared of being picked on. I don’t want to be scared anymore and I don’t want to be mad at my life or people that treated me badly anymore. That is what I took away from the presentation, the fact that I need to change and speak up when I am scared. I don’t think that we should change anything about the presentation. Whether it was effective is a different story. I’m not sure if it was effective. Not that it isn’t, it’s just that I haven’t seen it yet. I do think that it will be effective, however. It has touched me and effected me and I am sure it will effect others. Yes it was worthwhile. We need that little extra push in our lives and I wish I had actually had that push in elementary school. Rachel’s challenge is the best thing about my life.

Article posted September 8, 2011 at 06:04 PM • comment (7) • Reads 74 • Return to Blog List

Hi Kacie,
Thanks for the good book suggestions. I am ordering soon and I will put some of your ideas on my list. We too have real vampire fans (I was one when I was your age, I used to watch a show called Dark Shadows after school and loved scary old movies).
My kids are making vokis now, some for their control panel, so they always appear, and some in their articles. I see that Mrs. Lubich has a voki so she can teach you, but if you just go to voki.com, hit "create" and play around you'll learn just what vokis can do. I'm thinking of making a posting of a voki lesson and when I do it I'll let you know.
And yes, I do know there are other games available, that Halloween Hangman gets addictive! I kept on scoring and didn't stop, which ended up taking up more time than I bargained for and I missed the drycleaners!! Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I did have fun. Thank you for commenting on my student blogs; I have them on Weds, Thurs & Fri so expect comments then.
Happy Columbus Day (no games for that!)
Best,
Mrs. C.
Posted October 3, 2011 at 10:56 AM by • Lisa Casey
Hi Kacie,
You are an excellent writer, which comes along with being a passionate reader so I'm not surprised. I do have some ideas but since I don't know you I'll just throw out some suggestions. Maybe you have read some of these authors, but for a mix of mystery and fantasy try these two by Neal Shusterman, one of my favorite authors: the truly creepy Unwind and Full Tilt. Same thing with The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson, anything (ghosts, her specialty) by Mary Downing Hahn (Esp. Deep & Dark & Dangerous), Secret of Platform 13 by Eva Ibbotson (fantasy) of course I'm sure you've read the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins - Graceling by Kristin Cashore (fantasy and popular with 7/8th grade girls).
One question - is Rachel's challenge about cyberbullying? In Rhode Island we've never heard about that, though we have our own local tragedies.
Let me know if any of the above books interested you.
Best,
Mrs. Casey
Posted September 28, 2011 at 03:56 PM by • Lisa Casey
I have a some form of writing that sounds sort of like how Rachel wanted to see a change in the world and she made it happen. I wrote it way before I heard about Rachel’s challenge. We need a change in this world. Not only that, but in order to make it, we need a chain reaction.
Posted September 26, 2011 at 08:58 PM by • Kacie
Doing a poem or story from Rachel's perspective would be perfect! It would help others see from her perspective, and it would help them be inspired too! A great idea for a chain reaction! In fact, I may be catching on too.....
Posted September 26, 2011 at 07:02 PM by • Zoe
About my Jean Luc poem, I really hope you really meant a really big 'Wow'. And I'm just going to add this randomly, but I also love homework, like, a LOT, especially blogging, lol.
Posted September 24, 2011 at 06:43 PM by • Zoe
Your Rachel's Challenge thing is amazing! You write beautifully! How do you change the font and color and stuff? Anyway, about the Color poem, I'd liked to hear how those colors make you feel and I'd like t know what you think of my writing.
Posted September 24, 2011 at 06:33 PM by • Zoe
I’m shocked at my own writing. this came from a place so deep that I didn’t even know it was there. Rachel can change people, big time.
Posted September 24, 2011 at 01:47 PM by • Kacie