Copyright (c) 2014 by Stephanie Moore Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Stephanie Moore -- Blogmeister

Ms. Moore's Class

by Stephanie Moore

1M Curriculum Page
SCH Website
Ms. Moore's Twitter
Ms. Fish's PE Website
Ms. Sanchez's Website
Mr. Grogan's Math Website

We learned about each other. I started the day by reading Ms. Malarky Does not Live in Room 10, a funny story about a student who is sure that his teachers live at school. I shared the below keynote with the girls and then they each drew a picture to show something that Ms. Ingersoll and I should know about them.
Screen shot 2010-09-08 at 9.37.31 PM

We went to music and had Chinese today. Ms. Qiu helps them jump right into enjoying the language.

We rested after lunch. It was one of the most quiet rest times I have ever witnessed. I wonder if they all will be like this? Unlikely. :)

Looking forward to all of our future days together!

We Did It! KM girls, Teachers, Parents, Grandparents, Caregivers…
The first day is always hard. There is a mix of overwhelming joy to be at school along with missing parents, siblings and friends from prior schools and camps. The girls seem to have already taken ownership of their classroom and the fact that they are SCH KM. It was an action packed day to be sure. There is always so much to learn that first day. Where does everything go? Who is in charge of what? What are the rules? What do we do next? How do you get to each place? The girls took this on with gusto!

We had a wonderful first morning meeting. We learned each other’s names and each girl was able to share something that she liked to do. The girls spent the morning busy embellishing all of the name cards that would be needed for various activities, painting at the easel, digging through the dress up chest and reading books. Before we knew it we were off to music with Ms. Crowell followed by a visit from Ms. Qiu for our first Chinese class. We did not have library today so we went to the V2 to work with Kid Pix.

The class very much enjoyed listening to Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes. It is a wonderful story of Chrysanthemum the mouse. She absolutely adores her name until she goes to school where some other young mice tease her. The young mice come to respect and like her name by the end of the story. After reading the book we spoke about actions and words that are kind and actions and words that are hurtful. Each girl gave an example of something that was hurtful as we passed an apple around the circle. As you daughter said her example she dropped the apple. We then passed around an apple that we never let drop while giving examples of kind words and actions. We then cut open the apples. We noticed that the kindness apple was crisp. The hurtful apple looked nearly the same on the outside but the inside was bruised and soft. We spoke about how hurtful words leave a bruise inside a person as well. We only use kind words in kindergarten.

The afternoon was full of more bustling activity and friendship building. I’m sure many of the girls will be early to bed tonight after such a long day. I look forward to seeing them bright and early tomorrow.

Stephanie

Chrysanthemum Apple Activity
Article posted September 7, 2011 at 06:25 PM • comment • Reads 92 • Return to Blog List

2010-2011
2011-2012
2012-2013

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog