Copyright (c) 2014 by Rye 7th Team Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Rye 7th Team -- Blogmeister

Rye JH - 7th Grade Team-

7th Grade Team

Discover what's happening in the 7th grade classes at Rye Jr. High (A Middle School) in Rye, NH, US.

by Rye 7th Team

Rye Jr. High School
Ms. Adams' Science Blog
RJH 7th Team Web Page

The Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space (EOS) hosted an event at the University of NH on June 2, 2011. Students who were interested attended the event knowing they were responsible for reporting back in some format for the rest of the school and UNH. They came prepared with note paper, pencils and cameras. Many brought their own devices to document and record information.

The event was celebrating the 20 years of space grants. We received a tour of the facility stopping at the machine shop (for metals), freezer room, classrooms, and research labs. We went outside to view the Sun safely using two telescopes with filters. One telescope had a special film covering the reflector telescope and the other had an Hydrogen-Alpha filter that looked red. The students learned about the ice core samples collected from all over the world and then we donned coats to see them in the freezer. We also went into an inflatable dome to view a planetarium show. Our guides then took us to the researchers who are shooting rockets into the aurorae near the North Pole. They are examining how our magnetic field changes and the particles that come through the magnetosphere. Lastly, we visited various displays of research projects and spoke with their project leaders.

The seventh graders have completed projects sharing what they have learned. Some students chose to type up their notes in an outline, while others created poster displays, powerpoints, movies, and Animoto presentations. [An Animoto presentation allows for the student to choose their photos, music and format of the presentation.] Please feel free to view and comment for the assignment called UNH Field Trip.

Here's an example of an Animoto project.

Article posted June 11, 2011 at 06:46 PM • comment • Reads 188 • see all articles

Current Class
Past Class

--- Moon Phase Badge___

CURRENT MOON
-- EarthCast 2014 badge3042c1a2778dc5c7e5401bf2732221ecff2da72d Earthcast11 Badge ----