Copyright (c) 2014 by Mackenzie J Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mackenzie J -- Blogmeister

Kenzies Blog-

by Mackenzie J teacher: Melanie Transue

2 txt or nt 2 txt: April Freewrite

hrtz, bt shaksphere w%d lov txtspk--As much as it pains me to admit it, there is lot about the texting world that we English teachers should find commendable. . .

CREATIVITY with SPELLING:)

Shakespeare promoted the artistic quality of spelling. Like modern texters, it was common to spell words whichever way made sense at the time. In fact he spelled his own name several different ways. When he wrote, he would spell the same word different ways on the same page. Poets of Shakespeare’s time used to compete with one another to see who was the best poet. One sure way to loose was to spell a word the same way twice within a letter. It took a creative soul to alter spellings but still make sense.

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT:)

Spelling was once part of the connotation (emotional meaning) of a word. The use of harsher consonants showed more anger or emotional unrest. The use of soft consonant demonstrated kinder emotions. Texters are also in the habit of changing a word’s spelling to demonstrate the mood they are in.

BREVITY & CONFORMITY :(

What Will would NOT like about texts is the conformity of overused abbreviations. He would consider this un-creative and wasteful of good language. Additionally Shakespeare loved to explain his ideas fully. The shortness of text would bother him. He would NEVER create a Twitter account (140 characters, please!)

2 txt or nt 2 txt? Dats d Q. d nxt tym u txt remMbR Will approves.

Works Cited

A Literary Potpourri.” english spelling society. 15 Feb. 2004. Web. 24 Apr. 2011 <[LINK]>.

Lingo2Word. 2011. The Great Service Company Ltd. Web 24 Apr. 2011 <[LINK]>.

Article posted May 2, 2011 at 09:02 PM • comment (9) • Reads 486 • Return to Blog List

That's really weird that Shakespeare would spell his own name different ways. I never realized that texting had anything in common with him before.
Posted June 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM by • LaAnna F
Totes gree wit u Transue. I <3 txt lang 2, bt sumtms it cn b wrd.
Posted June 4, 2013 at 01:43 PM by • Mika S
This was a really good idea to compare texting to the way Shakespeare and other old writers would write. It's really interesting that they would change the spelling to change the mood of the word.
Posted June 3, 2013 at 04:23 PM by • Rebecca W
Sometimes the text language annoys me, but I still use it occasionally. I enjoyed reading this blog, Miss Transue.(:
Posted May 30, 2013 at 07:37 AM by • Randi T
I'm not really much of a texter, but I guess text language isn't that bad according to Shakespeare. Also, I think it's cool that he could spell his name in different ways. Nice job!
Posted May 3, 2013 at 08:22 AM by • Seth T
I completely agree with what Hunter and Ty said! I do think that Shakespeare would consider texting un-creative. Although, I would disagree with him!
Posted May 3, 2013 at 08:18 AM by • Darci W
Good blog Miss Transue! I'd think that Shakespeare would be one of the biggest enemies of modern day grammar, spelling and texting.
Posted May 3, 2013 at 08:16 AM by • Kenneth B
I never knew that shakesphere spelled his name in many ways. Also I agree with you of what I know about shakesphere he would not like to text.
Posted May 3, 2013 at 07:39 AM by • Ty M
First off, the first paragraph about spelling is completely mind blowing. I never knew he spelled his name in more then one way. Also, I have never paid attention to the consonants and how that could be used to show anger or vice versa. I don't think I would be a good poet. Good Job!
Posted April 30, 2013 at 05:33 PM by • Hunter B