Copyright (c) 2014 by LS Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
LS -- Blogmeister

Blue Marble

by LS teacher: Mrs. B (Grade 5 - 2011-2012)

Amelia Earhart was the first women to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. At age 23, Amelia’s father took her to an air show and bought her a ticket for a ten-minute ride in an airplane. That 1st flight made Amelia know that flying was the only thing she wanted to do.

Amelia Earhart had a different and happier childhood than most people in her time. Girls were not suppose to play ball, climb trees, run and jump, or get dirty. But her parents didn’t agree with that. Amelia Earhart was born on July 24, 1897 in her grandparents’ house in Atchison, Kansas. Amelia had one sister called Muriel, and they used to always stay with their grandparents because their parents used to always travel. Amelia and her sister invited their neighbors to play ball with them, but their neighbors’ parents didn’t like that idea so they complained about them. Amelia’s parents didn’t care if they talked about them. They thought the rules were wrong and boys and girls get to do the same things.

Amelia was a bright student but get in trouble sometimes. Amelia went to an elementary school in Atchison called College Preparatory School. 1 of Amelia’s favorite subjects was Arithmetic. Amelia did things her own ways at school. This sometimes go her in trouble with teachers! Amelia also liked reading books about, art history geography and science. Amelia had other problems during high-school years, because Amelia’s dad changed work a lot so Amelia had gone to six different high-schools.  Amelia was a bright, slim, athletic child.   

Amelia Earhart had a lot of jobs to get money to buy her own plane. Amelia wrote best-selling books about her experiences and was instrumental in the formation of the Ninety-Nines an organization for female pilots. She was a volunteer nurse at a veteran’s hospital during World War 1. She worked as an office assistant, photographer, and truck driver to earn the money to buy her own plane.

Earhart and her navigator Fred Noonan disappeared on July 2 somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. They never arrived at Howland Island. The plane vanished. Most people believe that Amelia’s plane crashed into the ocean and that she and Fred died instantly. And Amelia was remembered by her flight across the Pacific Ocean.

Article posted March 30, 2011 at 02:00 AM • comment (2) • Reads 69 • Return to Blog List

Yeah I'm sure! :)
But they said "somewhere."
So...
Posted October 7, 2011 at 03:20 AM by • LS
So your sure that it was the pacific ocean?
I thought they didn't know? :)
Posted September 8, 2011 at 04:34 AM by • JB

Hi. I'm Blue Marble. My hobby is reading. I love music. I love JA.