Copyright (c) 2014 by Caitlin M Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Caitlin M -- Blogmeister

Period2/3 2010

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Caitlin M

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Wind farm

sites used: [LINK]

Wind power is energy that is obtained from turbine engines that are powered by wind. Turbines are giant poles that have blades on the end. The blades are positioned in a way that when the wind blows, they spin. When they spin is spins a low speed shaft with a gear at the end, this is connected to another gear on a high speed shaft that runs through a generator. The generator creates energy by a magnetic rotor on the high speed shaft spins inside loops of copper wire that are around an iron core. When the rotor spins around the core it makes electromagnetic induction through the coils and that generates an electrical current. The current is then fed into the grid so that it is energy that can be used.

Wind power doesn’t usually work as the only source of energy, it usually just fills in the gaps when it isn’t sunny out and solar power can’t be used, etc. The positive aspects of this energy resource is that it doesn’t harm the earth. It is a renewable energy source and it doesn’t leave a carbon footprint.