Copyright (c) 2014 by Sahil R Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Sahil R -- Blogmeister

Science Joke of the Week!!!

Period2/3 2010

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Sahil R

teacher: Mr. Ullrich

Alternative Energy- Geothermal Energy

Geothermal Energy is heat from within the Earth. It is a renewable energy source because the heat is continuously produced inside the Earth.  Geothermal energy is generated in the Earth's core and temperatures hotter than the sun's surface are continuously produced inside the Earth by the slow decay of radioactive particles. This is a process that happens in all rocks. This energy is used in our technology by a direct use of hot water for bathing. There are also industrial ways of using geothermal energy such as food dehydration, gold mining, and milk pasteurizing. One common use of geothermal energy is the drying of vegetables and fruit products. Some positive aspects of geothermal energy is that it can transfer heat from the ground (or water) into buildings in winter and reverse the process in the summer. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, geothermal heat pumps are the most energy efficient and environmentally clean. The drawbacks to geothermal energy are that if you want to have it as a heat source you have to have a specific land requirement. It has to be a large rocky area or a pond. Also, it is very costly, so it will cost a lot of money to use geothermal energy. Geothermal Energy is used a lot in the U.S. including many power plants, but it is mostly used in western United States and Hawaii. California generates the most electricity from geothermal energy.

A geothermic power station.

Bibliography:

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]

Article posted January 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM • comment (1) • Reads 67 • Return to Blog List

Cool picture. I thought the clouds were moving for a second but then I realized i was just scrolling down.
Posted February 14, 2011 at 04:24 PM by • Shivani

Top ways to get thrown out of chemistry lab 3. Mutter repeatedly, "Not again... not again... not again." 2. When it's very quiet, suddenly cry out, "My eyes!" 1. Deny the existence of chemicals.