Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

Dance Project Lessons
1. Dance Project 1 (using Chingy's "I Like That")

Goal: Cut a longer song (3:35) down to a shorter version of the same song (0:39).  Click here for Dance Project 1 directions using Audacity.

2. Counting/Looping 8 counts (using Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and Metallica's "Enter Sandman")

Goal: To listen for 8-counts in music like Cheerleaders or Dance Team members use to do sideline 8-counts.

3. Beginning, Middle, Ending (Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger")

Goal: Severely shorten Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" (30 seconds or less) but still include music form the beginning, middle (the most recognizable part of the refrain) and the ending to make it sound like Survivor re-recorded an ultra-short version of their hit song.

4. Dance Project 2 (Goal: same as DP1, student choice music)

Time: 30 sec or 60 sec

5. Commercial Project 1 (Daft Punk iPod Ad)

Goals: 

a. Learn how to save a commercial from YouTube to your computer as an .mp4 file (keepvid.com)

b. Import existing commercial into GarageBand (drag into iTunes first) after creating a movie project.

c. Notch out a portion of the original commercial soundtrack ("Technologit") by using volume automation curves on the original commercial's soundtrack.

d. Import a new soundtrack (Daft Punk's "Derezzed" from the movie "Tron: Legacy") by saving an mp3 file from another existing YouTube video (video2mp3.net). Save to iTunes.Import into GarageBand.

e. Stop the music (Derezzed) when the two dancers ("robot") stop moving.  The music after "Technologit" should have a heavier dance beat and match the dancers motions.

f. Set personal goals for new soundtrack.  Look for "happy accidents" (e.g. "mistakes" that give ideas) and build the rest of the new soundtrack around the "happy accident".

g. Match the falling of the last dancer to the "falling" sound at the end of Derezzed. Music must end when the video ends.

h. Share movie from GarageBand to iTunes to mix the tracks and video together.

6. Final Commercial Project (Car Commercial).  Use the same parameters as the previous commercial project.  Choose your own car commercial (30 or 60 sec) and choose new music for the soundtrack.

7. Upload both commercials to YouTube (students need a Google Account to get their own YouTube account).

8. Podcast Project: Make a podcast in GarageBand of Dance Project 1, 2 and Eye of the Tiger (create a Podcast project).  A podcast project is similar to a movie project in GarageBand except that still images (pictures, album art, etc.) make up the podcast track.  You may delete the "Male Voice", "Female Voice" and "Jungles" tracks.  Drag the music for Dance Project 1, 2 and Eye of the Tiger into the project window, one after another (not on top of each other). Use search Google images for album art for each song to put into the podcast track. There should be at least one picture for each song (three songs total, all in the same podcast) Share the podcast to iTunes (AAC, Music Podcast) and upload to Youtube.

9. Link all three videos to your blog and write a description of each project to go along with each video, so that anyone who reads your Music Tech blog understands what you had to do in your projects and why you made the decisions that you did.

Article posted January 19, 2011 at 10:33 AM • comment • Reads 120 • see all articles

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page