1. Dance Project 1 (using Chingy's "I Like That")
2. Counting/Looping 8 counts (using Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and Metallica's "Enter Sandman")
Goal: To listen for 8-counts in music like Cheerleaders or Dance Team members use to do sideline 8-counts.
3. Beginning, Middle, Ending (Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger")
Goal: Severely shorten Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" (30 seconds or less) but still include music form the beginning, middle (the most recognizable part of the refrain) and the ending to make it sound like Survivor re-recorded an ultra-short version of their hit song.
4. Dance Project 2 (Goal: same as DP1, student choice music)
Time: 30 sec or 60 sec
5. Commercial Project 1 (Daft Punk iPod Ad)
a. Learn how to save a commercial from YouTube to your computer as an .mp4 file (keepvid.com)
b. Import existing commercial into GarageBand (drag into iTunes first) after creating a movie project.
c. Notch out a portion of the original commercial soundtrack ("Technologit") by using volume automation curves on the original commercial's soundtrack.
d. Import a new soundtrack (Daft Punk's "Derezzed" from the movie "Tron: Legacy") by saving an mp3 file from another existing YouTube video (video2mp3.net). Save to iTunes.Import into GarageBand.
e. Stop the music (Derezzed) when the two dancers ("robot") stop moving. The music after "Technologit" should have a heavier dance beat and match the dancers motions.
f. Set personal goals for new soundtrack. Look for "happy accidents" (e.g. "mistakes" that give ideas) and build the rest of the new soundtrack around the "happy accident".
g. Match the falling of the last dancer to the "falling" sound at the end of Derezzed. Music must end when the video ends.
h. Share movie from GarageBand to iTunes to mix the tracks and video together.
6. Final Commercial Project (Car Commercial). Use the same parameters as the previous commercial project. Choose your own car commercial (30 or 60 sec) and choose new music for the soundtrack.
7. Upload both commercials to YouTube (students need a Google Account to get their own YouTube account).
8. Podcast Project: Make a podcast in GarageBand of Dance Project 1, 2 and Eye of the Tiger (create a Podcast project). A podcast project is similar to a movie project in GarageBand except that still images (pictures, album art, etc.) make up the podcast track. You may delete the "Male Voice", "Female Voice" and "Jungles" tracks. Drag the music for Dance Project 1, 2 and Eye of the Tiger into the project window, one after another (not on top of each other). Use search Google images for album art for each song to put into the podcast track. There should be at least one picture for each song (three songs total, all in the same podcast) Share the podcast to iTunes (AAC, Music Podcast) and upload to Youtube.
9. Link all three videos to your blog and write a description of each project to go along with each video, so that anyone who reads your Music Tech blog understands what you had to do in your projects and why you made the decisions that you did.