Keep Calm&& Carry On.-

Salmon are unique creatures. They live in the sea but reproduce in fresh water. But this report is about The salmon life cycle. An amazing thing! Do you know anything about the Salmon life cycle? I do. The salmon life cycle occurs in a chain of connected environments. Stream, estuary, near shore, and ocean.

The life cycle begins with the female salmon digging out a shallow redd, which is a nest, in the gravel on the river bottom. In the nest she lays her orange pea sized eggs. Salmon eggs need cool, clean, oxygenated water. Trees and plants provide shade along the river side. That keeps the eggs cool. Redds are fragile and can easily be destroyed by people or animals crossing the shallow river or dirt being washed or knocked into the water and smothering the eggs.

The small larval fish, about one inch in length are called Alevin,and still have a yolk sac attached. The alevin live on this lunch bag for a month or so before they begin to hunt. The lunchbag contains protein,sugar, minerals, and vitamins. Gulls, Dippers, Sculpins, and trout all feed on eggs and young alevin.

The baby salmon fry begin to move in schools and feed in the river. They feed mainly on zoo plankton until they grow big enough to eat aquatic insects and even larger. Salmon need cool water, bugs to eat, woody debris to hide under, and sediment-free gravel in which to spawn. Loss of riparian habitat along streams, rivers, estuaries, and bays is one of the most serious dangers to the wild salmon's survival.

The salmon will feed and grow in the sea for the next one to eight years. They will remain in the sea until they reach full maturity. Orca whales, sea lions, and seals are the natural predators that the salmon will meet in the ocean. Humans also like to eat salmon, so commercial fisherman are another.They feed on small fish, shrimp, and squid.

The salmon Smolt Stage. By the time the salmon reach the estuaries, they have silver sides, bright bluish green backs, and are called smolt.Trying to stay out of the mouths of predators. Orca whales, sea lions and seals, are some of the predators the salmon will meet in the ocean. They feed on shrimp, small fish, and squid.

The salmon adult stage. The salmon start to swim upstream toward the spawning grounds. They do not feed but derive energy from stored fats. On their journey upstream the salmon face fishermen, fish ladders, waterfalls, wildcats, bears, and eagles.

The salmon spawner stage. The salmon that make it back to their home streams to spawn have beaten amazing odds. On average, out of every 1,000 eggs laid one survives to return and spawn. When the salmon reach the spawning ground reach the spawning grounds where they were born, males and females spawn together. The female digs her redd in the river bottom. They derive energy from stored fats. On the way upstream, the salmon face fisherman, fish ladders, waterfalls, and more predators in addition to the challenges they faced on their way downstream earlier.

The salmonid life cycle, involves adults maturing in the ocean, migrating back to their home streams, and spawning embryos incubating, fry emerging, juveniles, and growing. Salmon need habitat that includes, cool, clean water appropriate water depth, quantity, and flow velocities upland and riparian.

So that is my report on the salmon life cycle. From egg to habitat. I hope you enjoyed.

Article posted December 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM • comment (7) • Reads 220 • Return to Blog List

Hey there :]
And I LOVE THAT SONG! Rihanna and Drake all the way! :P
BTW, oh na na what's my name? My name is Daniee. hehe :P But you knew that XD
And I like Justin Bieber's music, not so much him.
Good! Glad you're enjoying school [:
-Daniee [:

PS- Getting Facebook soon [: hehe! Will let you know the day I get it!
Posted February 5, 2011 at 09:09 PM by • Danielle S
Hi Kayla!
I listened to it. It's great! Not the best of her music, but it's not bad. I've never heard it before. Thanks for recommending it!
How's everything going?
~Jess
Posted January 28, 2011 at 05:58 PM by • Jessica S
Kayla-
Happy 2011 to you as well! No, I do not know the band. Do you recommend any songs? I'll try to find something.
In all honesty, skiing is kind of scary, no matter how good you are at it. But the feeling you have at the end is amazing. If you get the chance I'd recommend going!
Awesome! I got great gifts as well!
I watched the ball drop. It wasn't as amazing (esp. the performances this year) as previous years, but it's always cool.

And this blog entry is very detailed! I love the pictures too. Cute!
Posted January 19, 2011 at 07:44 PM by • Jessica S
Hey there :]
Good! Glad you're enjoying school [:
-Daniee [:
Posted January 19, 2011 at 06:44 PM by • Danielle S
Kayla!!
Haha, I'm glad your Christmas was perfect! Hehe XD. School is great, thanks! Life is also great, thanks for asking. I'm getting ready for my reoprt cards, so I've had lots of tests that I have to study for, so I've been doing just that.:P And yes! Once I get a Facebook, you'll be the first (or one of the first) people that I'll add :]
-Daniee
Posted January 15, 2011 at 08:24 PM by • Danielle S
This blog article taught me a lot about salmon. I didn't even know most of the things that happen in a salmon's life. This blog was very helpful and enjoyable. Please comment back on my blog about the Green "Ark"
Posted January 13, 2011 at 05:26 PM by • Arjun L
Kayla, Kayla, Kayla!
Oh, oh hi there :) How are you?
Thanks for commenting on my blog!
And yes, Facebook is a legitimate! Hehe :P
I love it, but I don't have one of my own :(
I wish I did have one :P
My Christmas could have been better, but it was as good as it could get :P What about yours?
Comment back XD
-Daniee
Posted January 13, 2011 at 04:08 PM by • Danielle S

KAYLA DIANE. <3 Welcome to my blog, I post about science and a bunch of random stuff. My favorite colors are pink and turquoise. I love Macklemore. My favorite sports are cheerleading and volleyball. Anyways, have fun reading my blog!(:

Life
Life

Camp Cispus
Camp Cispus

Microscopy
Microscopy

One-celled
One-Celled Organisms