Copyright (c) 2014 by Dale Witte Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Dale Witte -- Blogmeister

Mr. Witte's Music Technology Blog-

Music Tech Lab, Rm. 155

This class is for high school students at Winnebago Lutheran Academy who want to learn how to make music on computers. We use Audacity and Garageband as our main tools, and we have fun almost every single day figuring out how to make music using audio and MIDI, but we also learn how to record vocals and instruments and even play guitar and drums if we need to.

We keep personal blogs (look on the right column of this page and click on our names) to help us remember what we've been working on, keep track of the all the decisions that we've made on our projects, and to share with our family and friends the music that we've created.

NEW 2013-2014 We're moving our blogs to Google's Blogger since WLA is using Google Apps for Education. Click here for Mr. Witte's new Music Tech blog. Click on the student names in the right hand column below to find links to their Google blogs for Music Tech and to see and hear what they've been working on in class.

by Dale Witte

Winnebago Lutheran Academy
Bible
Composing My Thoughts
Ricci Adams' musictheory.net
Free manuscript paper
Audacity
The Orchestra: A User's Manual
Guitar Tuner
Guitar Chordbook
Guitar Chords Magic
Hand in Project Files Here
MIDI Hymn Project Evaluation Form
Wikispaces
Music Tech files
Cambridge Music Technology
Garageband '11 101: Core Garageband Video Tutorials
MIDI Demystified Video Tutorials
Core iMovie '11 Video Tutorial

We've been studying the 12-bar blues progression for the past couple of weeks, learning how to play it on the guitar and learning how to program GarageBand to play it as well using bass, rhythm and lead guitar, and drum set.  Each student in Music Tech has crafted their own 12-bar blues band in GarageBand, each in their own unique musical style: disco, big-hair  80's rock, country, new age space music, etc.  It's been really fun to hear all the different blues progressions in all the unique styles!

But the Blues have such a unique style all their own that we needed to go back and do some intense listening to what makes the Blues "The Blues".  Each student is currently working on a 10-minute PowerPoint presentation on one of 13 radio shows that were originally aired in 2003 during the Year of the Blues by PRI, Public Radio International.  

Their assignment? Listen to the hour-long radio show, determine the main point of the show, and develop a PowerPoint presentation to help teach the rest of their class what that radio spot was all about, complete with pictures and music and possibly video.

Episode 1: "The Birth of the Blues"

Episode 2: "Goin' Up the Country"

Episode 3: "Tain't Nobody's Business If I Do"

Episode 4: "Standin' at the Crossroads"

Episode 5: "Mystery Train"

Episode 6: "Sweet Home Chicago"

Episode 7: "Key to the Highway"

Episode 8: "Blues Power"

Episode 9 "Bring It on Home"

Episode 10: "Gimme Back My Wig"

Episode 11: "Texas Flood"

Episode 12: "When Love Comes to Town"

Episode 13: "Future Blues"

Article posted November 19, 2010 at 10:28 AM • comment (1) • Reads 197 • see all articles

Block 3, Sem 1 13-14
Block 3, Sem 2 13-14
Block 8, Sem 1 13-14
Block 8, Sem 2 13-14

Dale Witte is the choir director and music technology teacher at Winnebago Lutheran Academy, Fond du Lac, WI. He has been teaching since January 1990 and really enjoys teaching students how God's gift of music works. Dale is also a church organist, piano player, violinist, and church music composer. Locations of visitors to this page