hrka

Dear Mother,
How are you? Oh good, just checking. I would like to talk all about what I have been working on in math class. To be more specific, Module 1. We learned about data displays, sequences and exponents, probability, problem solving, and expressions and representations. I hope you enjoy my overlook of math class.
So to begin, I will talk about when we started working on tallying data, which is all about intervals, vertical axis, horizontal axis, frequency, bar and line graphs. We would collect data and make frequency tables, Frequency tables are when you make tallies into a table. It makes looking at data much easier. It has helped me a lot. A interval is a step between grid lines on a scale. A bar graph is a visual display of data that falls into distinct categories. A horizontal axis is a horizontal line one a graph that is labeled with the categories or with a scale and a frequency table is a table that shows how often each data item occurs. That was all we learned in the first part of Module 1.
Next we learned more about exponents and sequences. This was my favorite section of Module 1 because I enjoy exponents and trying to figure out sequences. So in this section, we talked about sequences called terms. A term of a sequence is a number indicating the position of a term in a sequence. As we learn more about this, we carry on to a bit of algebra. Like finding patterns and such. When we find a pattern, we make it into a algebraic problem like T (for term) N (for number sequence) and then add the other numbers to make it an equation. T= 6N is an example of showing how to set it up. This means T= 6xN.
After that we went over probability . I didn't really enjoy this section as much as I enjoyed the others. I don't enjoy anything to do with fractions. So anyway, probability is a number from 0 to 1 that tells how likely an event occurs. We did a project on probability. My group used gummy bears (thanks for buying them! ). We put the gummy bears in a lunch box, and tallied the number of times we got a certain color. We made a frequency table to show the data we collected. We added the theoretical probability and experimental probability. Experimental Probability is a probability determined by repeating an experimental a number of times observing the results. Theoretical Probability is a probability that can be determined without actually doing an experiment. If the outcomes of an experiment are equally likely.
The next thing we went over was one of my favorites. Order of Operations. Order of Operations is the correct order in which to perform the mathematical operations in an expression. How we learned it was PEMDAS. Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Adding, and Subtracting. You go from left to right when doing the equation. So here is an example of an equation. 7(6+7)2-5=1178. So how you figure this out is remember PEMDAS. 6+7 is in parenthesis so you do that first. There is an exponent over that so when you get 6+7 (which is 13) square that number and you should get 169. Because multiplication is next in the order of operations, you would do multiplication. 169X7 come out to be 1183. Next comes subtracting. You subtract 5 from 1183 and get 1178. That's basically all there is to PEMDAS and order of operations.
I hope you kind of understand all about Module 1 and the first 2 months of math class! :)

- AHKEA
Article posted November 2, 2010 at 09:46 AM • comment • Reads 49 • Return to Blog List