Conditions of Use
Secret life of estuaries
Use the internet to find the answers to the following questions.
1. Find out the names and locations of two Estuaries in New Zealand.
Name of Estuary 1_____Manukau Harbour_________
Location of Estuary 1____Raglan_________
Name of Estuary 2_Fjords_____________
Location of Estuary 2___West coast South Island__________
2. Find out two things or causes that threaten estuaries.
Threat 1 (why is it a threat?)__Pollutions (pollutes the Estuaries) ____________________
Threat 2 (why is it a threat?)______Shoreline _Development (People building houses) _Taking estuary land.______________
3. Find out the names of three creatures that live in an estuary habitat.
Creature 1_____Lug worms______________________
Creature 3_________Feather duster worms_________________
4. Find out the name of two plants that live in an estuary.
Plant 1_________Smooth cord grass________________
Plant 2________Spanish moss_________________
5. Find two fascinating facts about Estuaries.
Fact 1__Estuaries are partially inclosed water. They are were fresh water from inland meets denser salt water. They have complex food webs that start with the microscopic bacteris in the mud. Examples of estuaries are; mud flats, bays, mangrove forests, sloughs, inlets, salt pans and swamps.
Fact 2_For those that don't know, and estuary is where fresh water flow into the ocean, like where a river dumps its water. Here some trivia:
1. Animals and plants here have to be able to adjust to constantly changing amount of salt in the water.
2. Water is rich in nutrients washed in from the land.
3. Because of te nutrients, many producers can lice here, like algae, and consumers who eat it, like fish and shellfish.
What websites did you use to find the above information?
I used Answers.com and Niwa.
Article posted October 13, 2010 at 04:17 PM •
comment • Reads 186
Return to Blog List
Add a Comment