Copyright (c) 2014 by Andrew Brookes Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Andrew Brookes -- Blogmeister

mr.cool

3H 2010-11

by Andrew Brookes

teacher: Sue Halbert

Portland Head Light
http://www.flickr.com/photos/suehalbert/5084669300/" title="lighhouse illustrations 002 by sue halbert, on Flickr">lighhouse illustrations 002

They build a lighthouse because the boats would crash on land. The lighthouse I am writing about is Portland Head Light. My lighthouse is located in Cape Elizabeth, Maine and was built in 1791. The lighthouse was not rebuilt and was made out of stone with a brick lining. The height is 80 feet tall, and the light flashes every four seconds. The lighthouse has a foghorn. The focal plane’s height is 101 ft. The government gave the people who were building the lighthouse $750 and $1500 more which equals $2,250. Portland Head Light was the first lighthouse on the coast of Maine and the thirteenth on the Atlantic coast .In the 18th century Maine was part of Massachusetts. I had fun writing about lighthouses.
Article posted October 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM • comment (2) • Reads 66 • Return to Blog List

Your illustration has alot of details in it.
Posted May 13, 2011 at 09:42 AM by • EC
Posted May 13, 2011 at 09:42 AM by • EC
Great job with the article. I did not know that it was the first lighthouse on the coast of Maine. That is a lot of money to just build a lighthouse. By the way I love your picture. How did you draw it so well?
Posted October 20, 2010 at 10:00 AM by • RV

I am a 3rd grade student. I am 9 years old. Basketball is the best sport and I love to play games with people like my brother and my family. Tatem is my school now. My teacher’s name is Ms Halbert.