Copyright (c) 2014 by KSKY Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
KSKY -- Blogmeister

KSKY-

by KSKY teacher: Rye 8th Team

Christopher Columbus Controversey
In 1492 Christopher Columbus set sail to find a way to get to Asia by going west. Instead he discovered two new continents and changed the world forever. We celebrate Columbus day because he is the one who discovered the Americas and that is why we can trace our ancestry back to Europe. There is a huge controversy about continuing to celebrate Columbus Day. I believe the cons outweigh the pros. I believe that we should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day.

My big points are that Columbus brought disease and genocide. He also kidnapped, killed and raped the indigenous people. They killed the indigenous people who were fighting to protect their country and land and yet we celebrate Veteran's Day to honor the people who have fought to protect our country. Just like us, they had a right to protect their land. My second point is that they also forced Christianity on the indigenous people. Christianity is not a bad thing, but he forced people to become Christian and destroyed their religion. He then plundered the resources of the New World. My most important point is also the most controversial detail. He was wrong about everything. He lied about finding gold, silver and treasure. Also, he didn't even find a way to Asia. He found the Americas and thought he had found Asia. His mission was a failure. He never found what he was looking for so why would we celebrate him?

Today this issue is a huge controversy. There are two very different views of the controversy. People have strong opinions on this controversy. I believe that we should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day. He came to this land that wasn't his and acted like he owned the land and tried to take over the indigenous people. He destroyed their culture, religion, way of life and much more. We should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day. What side are you on?
Article posted June 14, 2010 at 09:27 AM • comment • Reads 164 • Return to Blog List