lhal

Columbus changed the world forever in good and bad ways. Columbus is mostly known for the good reasons though. Columbus sailed to the New World and spread disease and abolished the natives. Columbus told the king and queen that he even set foot on the land when he never did. All Columbus did was pretty much just look at the land from his ship. Columbus Day should not be celebrated any longer.

We should not continue to celebrate Columbus Day because we are celebrating it not even knowing what we are celebrating. When we celebrate Columbus day we celebrate when Columbus sailed to the New World in 1492. Or that is the sweet sounding version that doesn't even explain half of the things that went on. The real story is that Columbus sailed to the New World not knowing what he was going to find. When he sailed over he kicked out and abolished the natives. He also spread European diseases that the Europeans had become immune to, but the natives weren't, so the natives got sick and died because of it. When Columbus landed back in Europe, he lied to the king, and told him that he set foot on the New World, pretty much saying that he discovered it when there were already people living there who obviously discovered it first. People should start to think about what we are really celebrating when we celebrate Columbus Day.

Columbus Day is not a good holiday to be celebrating because we are celebrating it for the wrong reason. We celebrate Columbus Day because it was the day that Columbus discovered America. When he did this he also, abolished the natives, spread disease, lied to the king and queen, and never even set foot on the new world. Columbus Day shouldn't even be celebrated at all.

Article posted June 14, 2010 at 09:25 AM • comment • Reads 73 • Return to Blog List