GHPE

by teacher: Rye Alumni

It was a peaceful day at the Rye Junior High, well at least the quiet part. It was a boring, dark, rainy, gloomy day. A perfect day for an interruption!

My first block was science. We were learning about matter and atoms. One of our class assignments was to color in a black and white atom. I was half way into the coloring when the alarms went off!

Now we all thought this was a regular fire drill, we were wrong. Even though it was pouring rain, we still followed the same evacuation process, going outside. Thank goodness my locker was close to the science room because I was able to snag my coat on the way out the door. After everyone was outside, teachers began to take attendance as fast as they could. Turns out that attendance did not go so quickly and we all started to get drenched so everyone decided to take care of our problems in the gym.

Half joking, the 6th, 7th and 8th grade opened up their emergency bucket's and took out large blankets. After 10-15 minutes of being wet, confused and slightly cold, things finally came to a conclusion. Mr. Pollet walked to the middle of the gym and spoke. He told us that this alarm wasn't planned and that the alarms went off because there was a slight water leak. This was due to a excessive rain fall over the course of a couple of days.  He also explained that the fire department was having difficulty turning the alarm lights off, not the alarm sound.

Taking no more time, Mr. Pollet told everyone to go back to their classes and bear with the flickering lights. After a couple of minutes the lights turned off and everything was back to normal.  

Article posted June 3, 2010 at 01:10 PM • comment • Reads 54 • Return to Blog List