WRCL-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Digging Through Trash

Our grade for Earth Day had a assembly where a group of people came in and educated us on the three R's which are reduce, reuse, and recycle and also they told us about how most of our trash that we throw away isn't really all trash some of it is recyclables and compost. Then after they finished talking they had an activity for us to do that was related to what they were talking about before. For the activity we had a tarp on the floor with three different colored bins on the edge. Each bin had a label reduce, reuse, or recycle on it and in the middle of the tarp we had our schools trash from the last three days. In the activity we weighed the total amount of trash first which was 87.5 pounds and then sorted the trash into the bins. When we finished the sorting we weighted each bin with 9 pounds of recyclables, 51 pounds of compost, and 25 pounds of true trash.