Copyright (c) 2014 by JRVI Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
JRVI -- Blogmeister

JRVI-

by JRVI teacher: Rye 8th Team

Earth Day

Our grade went through all our trash that we had for the last two days. It was only the trash from the cafeteria though. There ended up being more compost and recyclables in the trash than there was real trash. We learned that a lot of the things we throw away are thrown into a landfill and don't decompose, and could be recycled or composted. If everyone does these simple things like recycling and composting we could reduce our trash drastically.      

Our grade had a film festival on our trash and where it goes. I found that planned obsolescence was pretty interesting. Planned obsolescence is when a company designs a product to not last long. For example computer companies put a chip in the computer and every year they have a new updated one. The thing is every year the new updated one won't fit in the old computer, they plan this. They want you to buy a new computer and get rid of your old computer. Companies don't think about where or what happens to their products once they are sold. Only 1% of the products we buy are in use six months after they are purchased. The companies don't realize that a lot of their products aren't in use after they come out with a new product. All the companies want it to make you feel that you need to buy the new best thing. They make it seem like if you don't have this or that you're not cool. This is called the cool factor. I thought this was interesting because I bet that not many people realize what some companies do to get you to buy their products.