Copyright (c) 2014 by MHEL Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MHEL -- Blogmeister

MHEL

Class of 2012-2013

by MHEL

teacher: Rye 8th Team

The Higgins Armory Museum Essay

By: MJBR Green

The Higgins armory museum was founded by John Woodman Higgins in 1929 and is located in Worcester, Massachusetts. The Museum is four stories high and is made to look like the Gothic style from medieval times. It is home to weapons and armor from medieval and renaissance Europe, Japan, and ancient Rome and Greece. At the Higgins armory museum, there are over 3,000 pieces of armor and 1,000 weapons from Europe.  The museum holds about 1,000 pieces of African, Islamic, Indian, and Japanese defense weapons and arms. They have full sets of armor and weapons from the fall of Rome to the 1600's. The Higgins armory museum has armor from three periods: combat, parade, and tournament. 

The 1st period of armor was combat. The armor in this period was mainly used for fighting with swords and daggers, and was also used to defend the knights against these weapons. The armor used during the combat period was very strong and smooth with good flexibility which was good for deflecting weapons. The armor was light and weighed around 45-70 lbs, and was also easy to walk, run, and ride horses in. There was a long thin slit at the top of the helmet that was used for seeing your opponent and also to avoid getting stabbed in the eye with a sword. The only problem with this armor was it was very loud when the knights ran so it wasn't the best type of armor for hiding from your enemies. And over the period of time when combat armor was popular they kept trying to make new ways knights could wear more and more armor while being able to move easily.

The 2nd period of armor was parade. The armor people wore in this period was mostly worn at events and parties then in battle. This armor is heavily decorated and weighs around 30-80 lbs, plus it's not as thick and strong as the combat armor so it can't really protect knights from weapons. Knights also didn't wear this in battle because it was very hard to move in and see out of, and also it felt awkward to wear because of how weak it was. But this type of armor was good for parades and parties because they wore cool and funny masks of mythical characters for showing off. Also this armor was for mostly the rich people because of how expensive and formal it was, so this armor was basically only for showing off how much money you had. And not only knights were wearing parade armor but kids and even dogs were too; for the same reason to show how much money you had. But this period of armor didn't last as long as the combat or tournament armor.

The 3rd period of armor was tournament. In this period of armor people were no longer wearing armor in battle or armor for parades, but instead wearing armor for jousting. Unlike the combat armor which is very light this armor is much much heavier and weighs 80lbs and more, so it is very hard to move in. The reason it's so hard to move in is because it is very thick to protect the left side of the knight's torso and is used mostly for defensive purposes. But it is also used for jousting which is an event where two knights ride on horses and try to knock each other off with long lances. The armor worn in the jousting is made of hard steel to protect the knights from getting knocked off by lances. And the helmets used in jousting are almost closed so it's hard for the knights to see anything, plus its hard to breathe. So the tournament armor is good for jousting and other events but not for sword battles.

So now you can see the historic development of Armor during the combat, parade, and tournament periods. It started off with just a barrel helmet and some chain mail for protection and then knights added more and more armor to protect their elbows, knees, and legs. And then came the parade armor which was more decorative and rounded instead of sharp with funny helmets and masks to show off. And then comes much heavier armor for events and tournaments and used more defensively than battle armor. And the cycle of armor and protection today is almost the same because in World War 1 we wore battle armor again like helmets and chest protection and then in the Vietnam War we wore full body protection because we had powerful guns that without protection on your body would kill you. And now we are having less armor again besides maybe a bulletproof jacket and a helmet because the technology is changing so we'll either wear less or more protection. But no matter if we wear less or more protection from the 1400's to now, armor is going to be a very important part in battle, parades and events, and tournaments.

Higgins Museum Essay

Evaluation

3 --  Outstanding     2 -- Ok, but could use some improvement     1-- Needed improvement     0 --- Missing

Introduction

3           Gave the reader background and general information about the museum ---  set the scene.

2          Transitions to the body of the essay. (Three things that can be learned by a visit to the museum)

Body

3         Three topics were addressed, each with its own paragraph

2        Topics were clearly explained and used researched supporting details & vocabulary

Conclusion

1        Restated topic --- What can be learned at the museum?

1       Brought closure to essay (Summed up essay)

Structure

2      Essay format followed the directions for assignment

3       Spelling

3        Capitalization (Used correct capitalization)

Comments: Excellent supporting details & explainations; you could have used more researched vocabulary. Good job setting the scene in the introduction, but you could have been clearer in the transistion (What can be learned at the museum).   You don't have a conclusion to the essay. The last paragraph has new topic and doesn't address at all the topic of the essay - (What can be learned at the Higgin's Museum).

Grade