7th grade science classes have been working with the Rye Recycling Committee. Susan Anderson and Deidre Smyrnos have created a 'film festival' for the students. After each film, we discuss the main points and how it may impact our world.

They also coordinated an after lunch event with 2 people from Zero Waste Now. We saved our cafeteria trash for 2 days which weighed 87 pounds. Students volunteered to go through the trash and separate it into compost, recyclables and landfill trash. We then reweighed the landfill trash. It weighed 27 pounds! A huge difference! We discovered we had about 9 pounds of recyclables and 50 pounds of compost. We will follow up in class by investigating disposable items and the culture behind it, fair trade, blogging about our experiences and creating content for our Earth Day webcast.

Article posted April 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM • comment • Reads 561 • Return to Blog List