A cool 7th Grade student

This is the event that started the golden shower of medals for Canada. This event just had an upset. This event is built around speed and control. This is the event that I compete in. This is Men's Moguls.

Mogul scoring is based on three categories: turns, or technical skill in the bumps. This is worth 50% of your final score. Next, is airs, or the tricks you do off the jumps. This is 25% of your score. Finally is time, or how fast you get down the course. This is the remaining 25% of your score.

The piste, or course starts with a small set of moguls leading up to the first jump. After the first jump is the longest set of moguls ending in another jump. The final part of the course is a set of moguls which are a little more than an absorption course, which is basically just a set of little bumps in a straight line that you go straight down and absorb by pulling your knees up then down on the backside of the bump. That is one thing you train on. The two others are building a jump and practicing your tricks over and over and Going down a mogul course with someone watching you and telling you what you are doing wrong.

Moguls became part of the International Ski Federation (FIS) in 1979. The Olympic debut of moguls was as a demonstration sport in 1988 Calgary Olympic Games, but in the 1992 Albertville Games it became a medal sport. Over time the airs, or tricks have gotten better and better. For example in 1992 most of the tricks were twisters, or turning your skies sideways, and spreads, or spreading your legs in midair. Now the main tricks are a back-flip, helicopter, or 360 degree spin, a Heli Cross, or a 360 spin with crossed skies, a back full, or back flip with a 360 spin, and even a back double full, or back flip with a 720 degree spin. These increases are caused by the technique of the skiers getting closer, so the difference between winning and losing can be what trick you preform. Also, the equipment is getting better so it is easier to preform hard tricks.

In these Olympics the undoubted favorite was Dale Begg-Smith who is originally Canadian but has a dual citizenship and competes for Australia. However this would be the beginning of Canada's shower of 14 gold medals which set the record of most gold medals in a single winter Olympics. The gold medal went to Alex Bilodeau of Canada after completing a back double full and a turns score that rivaled Begg-Smith's and snatched gold from him. The gold went to Bilodeau, silver went to Begg-Smith, and bronze went to Bryon Wilson of the USA.

Article posted March 9, 2010 at 07:52 AM • comment • Reads 48 • Return to Blog List

A smart 7th Grade Student Locations of visitors to this page Wordle: Tornado Earthcast10 badge