GRKE

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Roman Person

Blue

1/18/10

I am Dido, I live in Rome it is the year 70 B.C.E.  I live in the commander's quarters in a small city. I will soon be sent away for winter because I am not permitted to stay in my home during the winter.  I will take my children and I will find a new place to stay with them.  In our home now we stick to a schedule like this one during the day. At VII we wake up and eat breakfast. Then we go outside and visit the garden. We all eat lunch at 𐅡II PM then we bathe and the servants clean up from lunch, then prepare dinner.  during the gap between lunch and dinner we often visit the stables.  Once we are through with the stables we go inside to eat dinner, wash up and go to bed.  My son Arrianus will be sent to be in the army soon. Our army is mighty and strong and Arrianus can't wait to be able to join into the battles. 

At VII we wake up and eat breakfast. Then we go outside and visit the garden. We all eat lunch at 𐅡II PM then we bathe and the servants clean up from lunch, then prepare dinner.  during the gap between lunch and dinner we often visit the stables.  Once we are through with the stables we go inside to eat dinner, wash up and go to bed. My brother, Pompeius is in the army, he works very hard and when he is home he enjoys explaining to us about his rivals, my children all love the story about when he fought the Celts, a strong army, but not strong enough.  They all wore bright clothing, like tunics died bright colors and woollen trousers called breeches or bracae.  They also wore stripped or checkered cloaks and used a long sword for slashing and cutting, they carried spears with twisted heads that caused a deep wound in their enemies.  They had a long shield to protect their whole body.  The Romans invaded in the year 89 B.C.E. the Roman army is mighty and they do not wear trousers and blouses in battle, they wear metal armor over a leather jacket and a helmet.  They also have a spear that will bend once piercing the enemies so it cannot be reused.  They carry a kit bag filled with food and a kettle, and a hand mill for grinding corn.  The kit bag also had all of the extra tools like the an ax, a rope, and iron chain, a saw, and a wicker basket for moving dirt.  The Romans wear boots, which are opened toed sandals with an almost two inch soul.       

In the end we Romans defeated the Celts, we are a stronger, more professional army and we went in and took over, but we try not to disturb the citizens of Caledonia. We are now an even larger civilization and I feel as if we have risen to be the greatest army in the world.  Arrianus will soon be one of the accomplished men, of the great Roman Army.  I am off now to eat my lunch and will leave this note, here in the garden for examination after my life has passed me by.