TJJO-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

During our field trip to Strawbery Banke, we were shown different exhibits that showed the evolution of Thanksgiving throughout the years.

In one exhibit there was an elderly woman, she was married to the Governor at the time. She lived in a large 3 story house, now historic of course. She had many children but many died from different things, such as disease. She later took on one of her grandchildren because her mother had died, she took care of him.

During the Thanksgiving time she would give food such as pies apples, flour, sugar and other ingredients to poor people because they didn’t have as much as they did. And it was a time of sharing and giving thanks for what they had. The children and maids would put the things into a pillowcase or bag and tie a knot to separate the items.
Article posted December 3, 2009 at 12:23 PM • comment • Reads 45 • Return to Blog List