Copyright (c) 2014 by JRVI Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
JRVI -- Blogmeister

JRVI-

by JRVI teacher: Rye 8th Team

One thing I learned about Thanksgiving is that it used to be focused on religion more than food and family. There was a meal, but it wasn't nearly as big as the standard now. People went to church and prayed for the things that they appreciated.

Another thing I learned was that Thanksgiving used to be on different days. At first, a Thanksgiving would be proclaimed after a major event ; for example, if a battle was won, offiials would proclaim a day of giving thanks. Soon, it became custom to have it in the fall, but there wasn't a set day. It also was not a national holiday. Hale from New Hampshire wanted Thanksgiving to be a national holiday. She wrote to five presidents but they all declined. Finally Abraham Lincoln agreed with Hale and Thanksgiving became a national holiday.

A third thing I learned was that the pilgrims are thought to have started the tradition of Thanksgiving when the had the feast with the Native Americans. It's true they had the feast, but we do not celebrate Thanksgiving because of that. We started celebrating it because it was a day to appreciate and pray. It was also established as a way to bring people together
Article posted November 24, 2009 at 08:22 AM • comment (1) • Reads 55 • Return to Blog List

I like how you told what Thanksgiving was about to people in the olden days. I also like how you gave facts about how Thanksgiving wasn't a natural holiday.
Posted January 22, 2010 at 01:28 PM by • hrty