GHPE

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Moon Rocks

Recently, we had rocks from our moon in our classroom. There were six different samples in a round, plexi-glass casing. There was a white rock, Anorthosite, a black rock, Breccia, a dark rock with some lighter parts in it, Basalt, and 3 different soil samples: Mare Soil, Highland Soil, and Orange Soil.  The dark spots that you see on the moon are called maria. People used to think they were seas when they looked at them from the ground, so they all have names such as the Sea of Tranquility. One of the Apollo missions gathered soil samples from one of these maria. It is darker than the others.It is aptly named Mare Soil. The Highlands soil is from the white part of the moon, also known as the Highlands. It is lighter than the Mare Soil.

It was very interesting having something  from the moon in our classroom. Here is a picture.

Article posted November 6, 2009 at 08:15 AM • comment • Reads 39 • Return to Blog List