Skype in the Classroom
A group of my students are reading a book by Beverly Cleary called Dear Mr. Henshaw, in which the main character, Leigh Botts, misses his dad because he is an over the road truck driver. The students generated tons of questions after wondering what life would be like while living on the road. Then we used Skype in our classroom to call my dad, who just happens to be an over the road truck driver with a webcam on his rig. So, the students could finally get some answers to all of their questions.
Here is a small portion of that experience.
Here are some of the student generated questions:
1. Where do you sleep on the truck?
2. How do you cook on the truck?
3. Do you use maps or GPS?
4. How do you make your appointments like the dentist or doctors?
5. What is the farthest place you have driven to?
6. What has been your favorite place to visit?
7. Do you like your job?
8. How do you deal with being away from family so long?
9. Do you get tired of driving all day?
10. What do you haul?