-

Water Pollution Pamphlet
By Hadlei, Jacob, and Alina

In this pamphlet you will be reading about freshwater pollution and nitrates.
Plus you will also be reading about some main sources of freshwater pollution. You will also be reading about point and non-point sources of pollution. Have fun reading this pamphlet.

What is freshwater pollution?
Freshwater pollution occurs when waste products or other substances change the physical, thermal, chemical or biological characteristics of the water. Affecting living species and reducing the water’s beneficial uses. A river is polluted when a substance, which degrades the water quality, enters the water and alters its natural functions. Some sources of water pollution are farmers using fertilizer and it getting into groundwater and it getting into water. Also sewers sometimes run off into rivers, creeks, and/or lakes.

What are nitrates and are they bad?
A nitrate is natural compound in all ecosystems. It is one of the chemicals essential to plant life. Too much can be a problem for plants and animals. It is also a component of chemicals and manure-based fertilizers. So nitrates can be bad if there are too much of them in your drinking water.

How can WE prevent water pollution?
We can prevent water pollution by picking up after ourselves. For instance pick up trash on the side of the road when we go on walks. Or maybe recycling whenever we can. Reduce, reuse, and recycle as much as possible. Use chemical at least 200 feet away from main water sources. Those are some of the ways we can prevent water pollution.

How do Nitrates get in the water?
Nitrates can sometimes enter water sources in areas of high fertilizer use. When too much nitrates get into water it can be harmful to plants and animals. Other ways that nitrates can get into water if there are high sewage use and feedlots near by. Those are some ways that nitrates can get into water.
What is point and non-point sources of pollution?
A point source is a specific source of pollution that can be identified. A non-point source is a wildly spread source of pollution that cant be tied to a specific point of origin. The difference between the two is that a point source CAN be identified. A non-point source CAN’T be identified easily. Those are point and non-point sources of pollution.

In this pamphlet you read about fresh water pollution. You also read about nitrates and how they affect us and plant life and animals. Plus you read about point and non-point sources of pollution. I hope you enjoyed reading this pamphlet of ours.

Thanks from,
Hadlei, Jacob and Alina

Article posted November 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM • comment • Reads 75 • see all articles