-

Braden, Chelsey And Heidi’s Pamphlet of WATER POLLUTION!!!

oiled bird

What is water pollution?

Water pollution is when water that was once clean is now contaminated.                  

Which now is neither suitable for drinking nor healthy. It kills fish, plants and animals.

There are some creatures that are tolerant to water pollution, but most are not.

Urban areas have potential to pollute water in many ways. Run off from streets carries oil, rubber and heavy metals into rivers, lakes and streams.

This is the problem!

Trash, car exhaust, oil, fertilizer, pesticides and household cleaners are effecting

Lakes, rivers and streams. They are the main source of pollution, and we are causing our own failure. When we use cars every day we are polluting because of the exhaust. Also when we use cars if they are not properly cared for then they can leak oil witch is a source of pollution. When we litter we are causing pollution.

Consequences of water pollution.

The ocean sustains life on earth its very important. They affect and moderate temperatures and dramatically influence global climate.

The ocean recycles and cleans the air we breathe. Bacteria are produced by pollution, which form a layer of slime on fish and plants. This results in decreased oxygen and increased disease. These are the consequences. Industries release pulp, paper, chemicals and acid rain. Ask yourself if we really want to release this into our world.

What can we do to improve quality after it has been polluted?

People need to be educated about proper ways to dispose of waste.

Showing each other where waste goes and the problem they can create in our watersheds.

People need to work together to help improve water quality. This is an effective way to get the message across. This is also a way to keep our earth clean.

What are some actions that can be taken to prevent water pollution?

Solutions can be finding ways for the urban areas to reduce both its dependents on pollutants. Also trying to get them to reduce the amount of pollutants it produces. One more way is to properly recycle or dispose of pollutants before it contaminates soil, water or air.Us the people can take simple steps to prevent water pollution.They can take care of their vehicles to prevent the oil from the cars from going into rivers, streams, lakes and oceans This is a good way to prevent water pollution.

What are nitrates and how do they get into our water supply?

Nitrates are natural compound present in all ecosystems. It one of the chemicals essential plant life.

All though this is essential to plants too much of it can also be a problem to plants and animals.

It’s also a component of a chemical in manure base fertilizers.Nitrates can enter watercourses and ponds from sources such as areas of high fertilizer life stock feed lots pastures and sewage.

What effects do high nitrate levels have on people?

Excessive nitrate can result in restriction of oxygen to the blood stream.

Infants under the age of 4 months lack the enzyme necessary to correct this condition.

Ground water provides drinking water supply to more then half of the population of the United States.

Sometimes these under ground water supplies can be “polluted” with nitrates can be potentially dangerous to people with conditions.

Public supply wells are usually large wells providing water to hundreds of people within towns and cities. Domestic supply wells usually provide

Water to a single family on their landlord’s property were the well is located. Nitrate concentrations for these two types of wells are commonly quite different.

What is considered to be a safe level for nitrates in drinking water?

The EPA has established a maximum contaminate level of ten m/g/l as nitrogen for nitrate in drinking water.

This is considered a safe level. If this “rule” is not followed there could be extreme consequences.

Fortunately for us we have a very good concentration of this. EPA has formed a specific way of keeping concentrations.

This is a very important job.

What should a person do if there are high levels in their water supply?

Nitrate concentrations in ground water generally are highest in parts of the northeast, mid west and the west coast. Concentrations generally are lowest in parts of the southeast.

This is just general information about were nitrates are highest and highest.

Regional differences are related to differences in soil drainage. Properties and agricultural practices. Nitrate in ground water is highest in areas of well-drained soils

And intensive cultivation of row crops. People could put their water through filters to clean their water and reduce risks.

What can be done to help prevent nitrates from entering our water supply?

By reducing the amount of fertilizer being applied to fields and residential lawns. By doing this we can reduce the potential

for nitrates entering our local watercourses after rainstorms. Tile drainage systems could be placed deeper into the soil. Thereby

Reducing the chance that nitrates will be carried into them.

Watercourses can be fenced to prevent livestock from entering our water supply.

Article posted November 2, 2009 at 10:14 AM • comment • Reads 84 • see all articles